Monday, March 31, 2008
Sunday, March 30, 2008
- do my traditional dance to the dawn as the sun comes up.
- have huge last sunday in may waffle breakfast for all my friends.
- find the key to world peace.
Friday, March 28, 2008
fun facts - saturday
- it's the only day in the western calendar that comes from roman mythology. (it's named after the planet staturn that was named after the roman god saturn.)
- for years, saturday morning was the time television stations devoted to childrens programming - specifically animated cartoon.
- there are over 10 song named "saturday" and an oodle more with saturday in the title.
- on a statuday in 1975, saturday night live first aired. (what a coincidence!)
- nothing happened.
- i forgot.
- the dog ate my blog post.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
fun facts - bhutan
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
happy prince kohio day!
- mahalo - thanks - "mahalo for the snack!"
- puka - hole - "theres a puka in my shopping bag."
- pa'u - sarong - "everyone looks stunning in a pa'u."
- iki - small - "mahalo for telling me there is an iki puka in my pa'u."
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Monday, March 24, 2008
what's that smell?
- the perfect scent by chanler burr about the creation of two perfumes. (read)
- the emperor of scent again, by chandler burr about perfume and luca turin's adventure to discover how the sense of smell works. (reading)
- perfumes: the guide by luca turin (will read - not published yet)
Sunday, March 23, 2008
peep peep peep!
Saturday, March 22, 2008
- marcel marceau (1923)
- williams shatner (1931)
- chico marx (1887)
Friday, March 21, 2008
friday of goodness
Thursday, March 20, 2008
red sweater day
today would have been fred rogers' (of mr. rogers neighborhood fame) 80th birthday. in his honor people all over are celebrating sweater day today. here's my list of three things mr. rogers always did no his show.
have a beautiful day!
(yes that's me and mr. rogers' sweater at the smithsonian!)
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
- hey nineteen by steely dan
- nineteen forever by joe jackson
- 19th nervous breakdown by the rolling stones
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Monday, March 17, 2008
show me the green
- kermit the frog
- lime (key and persian)
- tea leaves
- green tara
Sunday, March 16, 2008
did and didn't
- slept late.
- shopped for groceries.
- changed the cat litter.
- took the trash out.
- played an energetic game of feather on a string with my cat.
- take a long walk.
- bake a tasty snack for this week.
- bring about world peace.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
beware of the middle of the month
todays list is what's happened on the ides of each month -
- 15 march - hp lovecraft dies in 1937
- 15 april - the founder of sikhism, guru nank dev is born in 1469
- 15 may - musician producer bian eno is born in 1949
- 15 june - arkansas (pronounced arkhansaw) becomes the 25 state in american in 1836.
- 15 july - st vladami the great day.
- 15 aug ust - cook, author and first tv culinary personality julia child is born in 1912;
- 15 september - sir alexander flemming notices a bacteria-eating mold (penicillin) growing in his laboratory.
- 15 october - nasa's galelei spaceprobe cruises withing 112 miles of io - one of jupiter's moons.
- 15 november - the national broadacsting corporarion radio network (or nbc as we know it today) starts wtih 24 stations in 1926.
- 15 december - walt disney dies in 1966 before his head is frozen.
- 15 january - the free wiki content, wikipedia, goes on line in 2001 and revolutionizes the way people get and share information.
- 15 february - creator of jeff and akbar cartoonist matt gorening is born in 1954.
Friday, March 14, 2008
- if a pie's diameter is 1 a pies's circumference is pi (3.14).
- pi is the spelled out version of the greek letter π.
- pi is credited with being one of the most imporant mathamtical constant.
- to find the circumference of a pie multiple it's diameter by pi.
- key lime
- lemon sour cream
- apple salt caramel
- green tea cream (not one of my better ideas)
- pinach and feta
Thursday, March 13, 2008
lucky or unlucky 13
- triskadecaphobia is the fear of the number 13
- sikhs consider 13 a lucky number
- a rondeau is a poem with 13 lines.
- a bakers dozen has 13 items.
- the great seal of the united states there are 13 stars, 13 arrows and an olive branch with 13 leaves and 13 olives.
- 13 is the 6th smallest prime number (one of my favorites)
- you fans of the periodic table will know that 13 is aluminum's atomic number.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
apple of my eye
- northen spy (they make the best pie!)
- golden delicious
- pink lady
- granny smith
- honey crisp
Monday, March 10, 2008
know your buddhas - chenrezig
beloved in tibet and with the tibetan people in exile he may well be the most popular buddha in the of our time. please welcome my good friend chenrezig, the buddha of compassion.
you'll recognize him by his white color, the doe skin casually draped around his shoulders and his impeccable ability to accessorize. in addition to a snazzy array of golden jewelry, chenrezig is never without a wish fulfilling jewel cradled between the palms of his hands. luckily, he has two other hands to hold a beautiful rare kamala flower and a crystal mala. i must admit the effect is stunning.
also known as avelokiteshvara, the buddha of compassion has devoted himself to hearing the prayers of all suffering sentient beings. his six syllable mantra (om mani padme hung) is known far beyond the borders of tibetan where you can see it carved into stones, painted on walls and heard on the lips of pilgrims everywhere. his holiness the dalai lama, is considered the living manifestation of chenrezig, but, everyone is welcome to manifest at little compassion whenever possible.
1801, 1922, 1949
- 1801 - first census taken in great britain.
- 1922 - ghandi arrested
- 1949 - thousands of tibetans were massacred during the unsuccessful uprising against the 10 year of occupation of lhasa by the chinese.
Sunday, March 09, 2008
- i missed church.
- who's idea was this?
- finally the clock on my car says the right time!
- it was invented by william willet in 1907.
- hawai'i doesn't observe it.
- contrary to popularbelief daylight saving time does not save energy.
Saturday, March 08, 2008
8 women i love.
1. julie taymor (can she direct or what?!)
2. jetsum peme (that's the dalai lama's sister)
3. mother theresa (she certainly walked her talk)
4. yeshe tsogyel (she might have been born in the 8th century tibet, but, she still counts)
5. sister helen prejean (very few people know she has a good sense of humor.)
6. mother ammachi (compassion in action topped with a hug)
7. my mom
8. all the other women i don't have room to mention.
Friday, March 07, 2008
- maurice ravel (french composer)
- tomáš masaryk (the first president of what used to be czechoslovakia
- gene shalit (american film critic and hair style trend setter)
- willard scott (amercan weather presenter)
- tammy fay baker (late televangelist and mascara aficionado)
- abigale and brittany hensel (american co-joined twins)
- tim condra
Thursday, March 06, 2008
your request is my list!
- gentle spring rain
- my kitty-cat purring
- waves crashing into the beach (with option seabird accompaniment)
- a gurgling brook
- birds chirping at sunrise.
- the sound a slice of warm toast makes when you first bite into it.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
- i thought the door shut
- luxurious nap
- my old trilobite
- i would love some tea!
- exploding glitter
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
four on four
- quatre (en francais)
- čtyři (czeck)
- zhi (tibetan)
- cuatro (spanish)
- mars (french, norwegian, icelandic, swedish)
- marec (slovak)
- marzo (spanish, italian)
- březen (czeck)
Monday, March 03, 2008
three for 3/3
three important historical events that occurred today.
- at&t was incorporated in 1885 in the state of new york.
- mathatma ghandi started his famous fast is 1939.
- the difficult to sing "star-spangle banner" was adopted as the the u.s. national anthem.
Sunday, March 02, 2008
two in international events that occurred to day
- moldova and uzbetksatn joins the united nations in 1992
- vlladimír remek becomes the first czeck to go into space in 1976
- st. chad's day (church of england)
- st jovinas day (catholic church)
Saturday, March 01, 2008
eden over at nablopomo decided that the theme for march is lists. i love a list as much as the next prmate, so, i'm going to give it a go and post a list everyday this month.
a list of lists about march - four things about march
1. three things everyone knows about march:
- it's the third month in the western calendar.
- it's 31 days in length.
- it's named after mars.
2. three things you may not know about march:
- it's one of three single syllable months.
- it's named after the roman god of war, mars, not the planet.
- it's it's one of 7 months that's 31 days in length.
3. things that that make me wonder "how do even know these three things about march?"
- it comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
- it's month flower is the daffodile
- it's month gem is the aquamarine.
4. three march 1st holidays.
- beer day (iceland)
- st. david's day (dydd gŵyl dewi sant as they say in wales)
- independence day (bosnia & heregovina)