Thursday, February 14, 2008

know your buddhas - maitreya


valentine's day is all about love, so, it's no coincidence that i'm kicking of my "know your buddhas" series with my little golden friend here. say hello to the buddha maitreya! today, he's decked out in his fancy silks, elaborate jewelry and matching crown. other times, you'll see him in a simple monks robe sitting peacefully. no, that's not a gang sign he's making, it's a gesture that means that means he is teaching. his name is pronounce my-tray-uh and comes from the sanskrit word maitri and means universal loving kindness.

maitraya is a future buddha, so, he's not scheduled to show up until the previous buddha's teaching have degenerated and have been forgotten and everyone's in a bad mood. that's when our buddhist bundle of love will show up and start spreading the love and kindness. i predict he's going to be a big hit. of course i'm limbering up my loving kindness now! feel free to join me!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I hear there's another Buddhist bundle of love out there--the sour cream lemon pie you're making for Dad's birthday!

11:38 AM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger hi!monkey said...

pie? i'm making pie?!

12:29 PM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger Rebecca said...

You're always making pie, you silly monkey!

5:16 PM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger Brook said...

I think we could all work on being a little kinder to all. I know this time of year it gets very stressful in my profession. I am really trying to be kind to a certain sassy 18 YO who doesn't have a fully developed frontal lobe. ARGH!

8:41 PM, February 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home