Saturday, November 24, 2007

do you hear what i hear?

wednesday i participated in "no music day" and what an ear-opener that was!

even without music i have a great soundtrack to my life. my kitty's squeeks as she stretches and i didn't know my candle wick hisses. the 6 am matalic garbage truck solo was mercifully short and the thunderstorm was rhythmically more complex than any jazz drummer. my tea kettle falls silent when the water reaches a boils and someone very small was practicing a soft-shoe in my attic at sunset.

it wasn't all a romp through a natural soundtrack recording (with feel-good subliminal messages). i really did miss the music i love and i might have fallen off the wagon if confronted with an opportunity to enjoy some favorite live music. i know that some people thought that a music fast was a silly idea and that they wouldn't give up their music for anything. for me, it was a valuable experience. but, don't listen to me, listen for yourself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brook said...

The boys and I do this from time to time. We just try to be silent, to think and to reflect. It is a nice every once and a while. Just yesterday I picked up Cody and we drove for 40 minutes with no sounds in the car. We didn't even talk. We just relaxed being together with out thoughts. It was very nice and our trip was over all too soon.

9:52 AM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger hi!monkey said...

meditation in action!

10:00 AM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Me, being the "some people", wants to know who was doing the soft shoe in your attic.

6:17 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger hi!monkey said...

i figure that whatever is rehearsing in my attic doesn't want to be disturbed while it's perfecting it's moves. it sounds like it wears a very tiny capezio jazz oxford though.

6:30 PM, November 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home